6A:16-1.5 Student health records
(a) Each district board of education shall maintain student health records for each student, which include the following mandated records:
N.J.A.C. 6A:16-2.2 and 4.3; and
1. Findings of health histories, medical examinations and health screenings as required in
2. Documentation of immunizations against communicable diseases or of exemption from these immunizations as required in N.J.A.C. 8:57-4.
(b) Each district board of education shall use forms and formats for documenting mandated health records as required below:
N.J.A.C. 8:57-4.7(a) .
1. Student immunization records shall be maintained as required by
i. The records shall be recorded on forms provided by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services; and
ii. The forms shall be filed separately from other student health records for the purpose of immunization record review by local or State health officials.
2. Findings of student health histories, health screenings and required medical examinations that are relevant to school participation shall be recorded on a form as specified by the Commissioner of Education.
(c) Any district board of education employee with knowledge of, or access to, the following health information shall comply with restrictions for sharing that information as required by Federal and State statutes and regulations.
N.J.S.A. 26:5C-1 et seq. and only for the purpose of determining an appropriate educational program for the student.
1. Information that identifies a student as having HIV infection or AIDS shall be shared only with prior written informed consent of the student age 12 or greater, or of the student's parent or guardian as required by
2. Information obtained by the school's alcohol and other drug program which would identify the student as an alcohol or other drug user may be disclosed only for those purposes and under those conditions permitted by 42 CFR Part 2.
3. Information provided by a secondary school student while participating in a school-based alcohol or other drug counseling program that indicates that a parent, guardian or other person residing in the student's household is dependent upon or illegally using a substance shall be shared only for those purposes and conditions permitted byN.J.S.A. 18A:40A-7.1 .
(d) Each district shall provide access to the student health record to licensed medical personnel, not holding educational certification, who are working under contract with or as employees of the district only to the extent necessary to enable the licensed medical personnel to perform their duties.